Wednesday, December 19, 2018

My Maruvam Plant Blooms


Hello Friends!

Hope you are all busy preparing for the Christmas, New Year and Pongal. Here it is really cold. Temperatures are down. So me and mom are trying best not to expose ourselves to those chilly winds. Cyclone has passed and sun is out. But still it is cold.

We all keep on learning new things daily either by choice or by chance. Sometime back when I was walking in my garden, I happened to glance at my Maruvam plant-or rather under shrub. It is a small shrub with aromatic leaves. 

Oh and there were such tiny blooms. This is the first time, I saw them or noticed them, though I have been growing it in my garden for the past so many years. These flowers are very tiny and light green in colour. I don't know whether the picture is clear or not. It was difficult to capture such tiny things.
Maruvam

I think I have mentioned Maruvam before in one of my posts. We use these stems with the leaves along with flowers like jasmine, chrysanthemums in making flower garlands or strings to wear in our braids. We also use it in our Puja. Lord Hanuma likes these leaves, hence it is offered to Him.

Today I learnt that it is know as Sweet Marjoram in English and belongs to Oregano family. It has got such sweet smell, relieves stress and has other medicinal properties. Till now, I never knew its name in English.

I dry the stems and add it to bath water sometimes. I also use it for making dry flower and herb sachets to freshen up my cupboards and storing spaces.

This herb is very delicate and cannot tolerate extreme temperatures. Will it survive the cold? I have to wait and watch.

Oh and I have many additions to my garden. I will show them in my next posts.

Pin It

1 comment:

AVS said...

Description style is very nice and simple.