Sunday, August 22, 2010

Beautiful Borders/Laces-1



Ok friends here I am. The latest craze as you know in India these days is embellishing saris with kundans, sequins, patches, zardosi/kundan/embroidered butis etc. But  these days the most in thing is Lace. Laces and Borders of different varieties are being  stitched on to the saris as borders. Matching patches or butis are stitched on pallu and other areas of the sari.

I have been collecting different varieties of laces/borders and patches with a view to decorate my saris, dupattas and my nieces frocks. The thing is I am not finding time to attach them to my saris. Anyway I am sharing them with you.

I always go for things which are unique and different. Or may be m,y choice is different from others. When I choose I have a particular sari or dupatta in mind. Bot LOL! when actually attaching I weigh all my options carefully and then go for the best- so the end product may be entirely different.

Here is one of the borders....
This is hand woven border from Assam-silk yarn on Muga silk. There were other designs. But I loved this one. The border is not continuous-though 9 meters. It is done in strips. In all 10 strips-total of nine meters. This will suffice for blouse-back and sleeves, the entire bottom of the sari and a portion of  the top side of the sari. But I need to stitch together these strips.
This is a close up shot. look at the colours-background is gold coloured silk, black, white, red and yellow threads  have been used for the motifs.

This is entirely hand woven. Isn't it beautiful. I am going to attach it to one my saris and then post pictures.

So which colour sari would be good for this one? do let me know about your suggestions and comments....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never knew that these type of borders are available in market. They are looking beautiful.Since they are hand woven they are price less. Thanks for sharing.