Monday, March 16, 2015

Sring Time in my Garden - 4

Here are the Magnolia flowers known as Champka in Sanskrit and Hindi and Sampengi in Telugu.


This is the white coloured one. This gives a very light fragrance. It does not flower profusely; may be my plant is too young.

This is the green one known as Aaku Sampengi meaning leaf Champaka. This blooms frequently and every new shoot will have lots of flowers. The fragrance of this flower is different from the white one. Earlier days this plant used to be there in many homes  and gardens in Andhra. Even today these flowers are sold in the markets and one cannot miss their fragrance. This reminds me of my childhood at my granny's place.


I never knew this plant gave fruits like the one above until recently. 



This is the yellow variety, known as Simhachalam Sampengi, as Lord Narasimha Swami at Simhachalam in Andhra Pradesh is said to be found of these flowers. So these flowers are offered to Him. 

The fragrance of these flowers is different from the above two. I planted this tree twice and both times lost them to termites. I will try my luck again.

Keep an eye on my blog......

Pin It

No comments: