Friday, November 8, 2013

Green Magnolia


Hello there. Today, I want to share with you something from my garden. It is green Magnolia Champaka. This is the first flower, since I planted it. I am so happy to see it flower. It lifted my spirits. 

Magnolia is known as Champaka in Sanskrit, Champa in Hindi and Sampenga in Telugu. 

Magnolia trees/shrubs were found in most of the gardens of South Indian houses, when houses were built in big plots. Now, because of pocket sized gardens and apartments in cities, we hardly find any of these plants. But during the season, our markets flood with these flowers, which come from small towns and flower gardens cultivated by the farmers. 

I only know three colours of this variety. One is the yellow or golden coloured one known as the Golden Magnolia. This is the most common variety. Here we call it as Simhachalam Sampenga, and Lord Narasimha in Simhachalam(near Vishakhapatnam) is worshiped with these flowers. It is also found in abundance in the areas surrounding the temple.

Green coloured one is also popular. This is known as Aaku (means leaf)Sampenga. The yellow and green flowers are sold in the markets during the flowering season. But the white one is very rare and I have not seen its flowers in open market.It is said that this plant thrives well in Himalayas and likes colder climate.

The yellow and white ones are trees where as the green one is a creeper. But I am maintaining it as a shrub.

The scent of each of these varieties is different. I love all the three, but the white one is very delicate to look at and also, its fragrance is very subtle. The flowering season is also different as far as I can remember. The green and the white flower in winter. But the yellow one flowers in summer. I need to closely watch the flowering now. 

Though I had all the three varieties, the yellow one gets attacked by termites. I have planted it twice and both times as it grows, the termites attack and kill it. I am not able to save it no matter what I do. So I have to plant a new one. Here take a look at the white and green flowers from my garden. 

The green ones are very difficult to find between the leaves. One has to rely on one's nose to locate these flowers :). 

These flowers are used in offerings to Gods and Goddesses and also worn in the hair by women. Usually a single flower (or at the most 2 to 3) is worn in the hair. These are also used in perfumes and incense.

It is said that snakes get attracted to the scent of these flowers and I have heard many stories from my mom and grand mother how these shrubs are infested with snakes. But here in the city where I live, no snake would dare to enter, our human infested jungle..:)...

You can read more about these trees and flowers here:




I will keep you posted.......

12 comments:

Mahalaya said...

I had no idea the Magnolia was so prolific! Here we have Grandflora variety and it grows everywhere...many over 20 feet tall...deep green all year with enormous flowers bigger than your hands. Some of my happiest memories envolve these precious flowers...they are my favorite of all...and each trip to the ocean we bring one bag for Mahadeva.

Ms Sharma said...

Thank you Mahalaya for stopping by and commenting. Can you send me some pictures of the flowers you are talking about?

Mahalaya said...

Here is a picture of the Grandiflora (Southern Magnolia)

http://toptropicals.com/pics/garden/m1/bel/Magnolia_grandiflora6730.jpg

Ms Sharma said...

Thank You so much. It looks different but beautiful

RK Reddy said...

Interesting blog with informative facts. The white flowered champaka is magnolia alba. Also, the teega sampangi , which you were referring to, madam, is also called Madana masti or manoranjitam in Telugu.
I'm from Hyderabad madam and nature enthusiast.

RK Reddy said...

Green magnolia also called manoranjitam or Madana masti, in Telugu madam. White champaka flowers tree is magnolia alba..

RK Reddy said...

I learnt that the yellow or orange coloured sampangi flowers are fragrant. Aren't they?

Ms Sharma said...

Thank You Mr Reddy for leaving comments on my blog. You have also provided some valuable information.

Yes Yellow sampangis are fragrant. In fact all three colours-green, yellow and white are fragrant. And the fragrance is different for each of them.

Thanks for the information you have given. I did not know that Green Sampangi was also known as Manoranjitam or Madan Masti. This is quite interesting.
It is nice to know that you are from Hyderabad and a nature enthusiast.

Please do leave your suggestions and comments. I would also love to hear from you on plants as you seem to have a lot of knowledge about them Sir.

Thank you once again for stopping by and leaving your comments.

Unknown said...

Ms. Sharma and guys.
Can the green variety grow in hot desert climates. There plenty of greenery where we live.

Ms Sharma said...

Since these trees grow well in South India where the summer temperatures are high, I think they may grow in your place too. But they require good amount of water.
I don't think they thrive in very cold freezing temperatures. In my place even in severest of winter the temperature is around 8-9 degrees but lots of sun during day. So these plants do well.

Ash said...

hello ! So nice to learn about these flowers. I lovee them,had them growing up. Where can I buy the plant outside India? Please share,thanks.

Ms Sharma said...

Thank you Ash for taking time to leave comments on my blog.

Since I don't know where you are from, I cannot give you proper answer. But you can always try in your local nurseries whether your region is suitable for this tree.

They will also be able to guide you regarding the availability of plants nearest to your location.