Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Republic Day

Today we Indians celebrated 61st Republic Day. I have always enjoyed these national celebrations. Every time on these days, I become nostalgic, remembering my school days. On the eve of the Independence Day (15th of August) or Republic Day, we all used to decorate our class rooms, with streamers, balloons, pictures of national leaders, charts relating to our curriculum and so on but in Indian tri-colours. When we got prize for best decorated class rooms we used to feel so happy and proud.

Anyways, I love watching the live telecast of Parade at Delhi. Its nice to see our Prez a Lady, and we do feel proud. We also celebrate these occasions in our areas. Competitions in sports and other activities are conducted, flag hoisting, cultural programmes by the residents, especially children bring us all together and also unveil the hidden talents in the people.

Ohh by the way, the three clolours of Indian flag stand for: Green--- Prosperity or relation to the soil, India being a country of villages, White-Peace, purity, light, truth, right path, conduct, Saffron-detachment (from material gains) steadfastness to the chosen path (welfare of the country) and the blue wheel in the center is the Ashoka Chakra denoting Dharma or Virtue

Hmmm today after a long time I got a holiday. But I had lots to do. Could only complete a few tasks. Here are the pics of the Rangoli I made. I have not made elaborate colourful one which I usually do every year.

This was the Rangoli I made using the Indian Tri colours.

Here is a closer look at the design in the center

Now this is the tri coloured rice I prepared.

I pickled some garlic, which I wanted to experiment with since long.




Here are the dates, (dry ones) from which I make the chat pata Mukhwas every year. Its very tasty, and acts as a digestive aid.

The recipes of these three I will be sharing in my other blog...



1 comment:

Astrid said...

Hi Sailaja, HAPPY BELATED REP. DAY!I watched part of it on TV too, it is so impressive.